<< Back to Jobs
Join Bridge and apply for the MA Student Loan Repayment Program!
MA Repay Program -- don't miss out! The student loan repayment program for Massachusetts' primary care, mental health and substance use workers is open until Jan 30, 2023. Check here to see if you're eligible for up to $25K-$300K: https://ma-repay.massleague.org
ABOUT BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATERS, INC.
For more 50 years, Bridge Over Troubled Waters has provided a comprehensive continuum of care for runaway, homeless, and high risk youth in Boston, and has been a national model in providing innovative youth services. Our mission is to transform the lives of youth through safe, supportive and encouraging relationships, counseling, housing, and skill-building, to guide them towards self-sufficiency and achieving their goals.
Bridge is committed to building a diverse workplace and strongly encourages people of color and other ethnic backgrounds to apply!
As a Residential Counselor, you will be responsible for overseeing all residents in the Emergency Residence program. As a Residential Counselor, you will meet individually with residents to provide therapeutic counseling and support services. Your assessments, supports, and referrals will help youth meet their goals of securing long term housing and accessing ongoing services to reach longer term milestones.
Job Title: Residential Counselor
Hours: Full-time (Shifts, 8am-4pm, 2pm-10pm or 10pm-8am)
Reports To: Residential Program Manager
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
- Supervise the activities of residents in the a residential program, while actively engaging in supports provided
- Assist in the development and implementation of appropriate service plans with residents
- Orient new youth to the program, including giving facility tours, filling out the appropriate paperwork, and reviewing program policies and procedures.
- Maintain an active caseload of residents and perform clinical supervision, including keeping active case notes
- Provide residents with advocacy, referrals, crisis intervention and supportive counseling
- Ensure residents are following the guidelines and expectations of the program; giving consequences or discharging when appropriate
- Monitor and ensure the safety of residents, implementing crisis intervention as necessary
- Lead daily facilities management, including meal prep setup and breakdown and setting up the Welcome Center for new residents
- Coordinate recreational activities and events, including logistics, materials, and supplies
- Assist residents in maintaining standards of cleanliness in the facility
- Maintain program records, resident log information, and prepare and submit program updates
- Ensure that all activities, services and programs through Bridge are conducted in a manner that is sensitive to and shows respect for the cultural and ethnic diversity for all Bridge young people.
- Attend and participate in all required program meetings including weekly supervision with Residential Coordinator and all staff meetings
- A Bachelor's Degree in Human Services, Social Work, or any other related degree strongly preferred
- 1- 2 years of experience working with youth ages 18-24 in one or more of the following areas: housing management, job development, community relations, substance abuse or recreational counseling. Can also include supervised internship experience.
- Comfort and confidence working in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment with an ability to collaborate and problem solve across multiple teams and stakeholders
- Ability to identify and execute effective problem solving strategies, with experience practicing sound crisis intervention and conflict resolution
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations and cultural groups
- Passion and commitment in working with homeless and transitional youth population
- Valid driver’s license and continuous clean driver’s record required
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary for this position starts at $19-$21/hour and is commensurate with experience. Weekend shifts are paid with an additional $3/hour pay differential. All Bridge Over Troubled Waters employees are eligible for an annual performance-based raise or cost of living adjustment.
Bridge Over Troubled Waters is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental and vision plans, paid time off and a retirement savings plan. Bridge also provides a bonus of $2500 for all new employees that they are eligible in to receive in two $1250 installments after 6 months and at one year of service with Bridge.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Bridge Over Troubled Waters’ duty is to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of recognized hazards. As such we have adopted a MANDATORY COVID 19 VACCINATION POLICY for our employees.
Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status.