ABOUT BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATERS, INC.
For over 50 years, Bridge Over Troubled Waters has provided a comprehensive continuum of care for runaway, homeless, and high risk youth in Boston, and has been a national model in providing innovative youth services.
Job Description: Residential Counselor - All Shifts
Hours: Full-time (8am-4pm or 2pm-10pm or 10pm-8am)
Job Location: Multi-site
As a Residential Counselor, you will be responsible for overseeing all residents in the Emergency Residence program. As a Residential Counselor, you will meet individually with residents to provide therapeutic counseling and support services. Your assessments, supports, and referrals will help youth meet their goals of securing long term housing and accessing ongoing services to reach longer term milestones.
- Supervise the activities of residents in the a residential program, while actively engaging in supports provided
- Assist in the development and implementation of appropriate service plans with residents
- Orient new youth to the program, including giving facility tours, filling out the appropriate paperwork, and reviewing program policies and procedures.
- Maintain an active caseload of residents and perform clinical supervision, including keeping active case notes
- Provide residents with advocacy, referrals, crisis intervention and supportive counseling
- Ensure residents are following the guidelines and expectations of the program; giving consequences or discharging when appropriate
- Monitor and ensure the safety of residents, implementing crisis intervention as necessary
- Lead daily facilities management, including meal prep setup and breakdown and setting up the Welcome Center for new residents
- Coordinate recreational activities and events, including logistics, materials, and supplies
- Assist residents in maintaining standards of cleanliness in the facility
- Maintain program records, resident log information, and prepare and submit program updates
- Ensure that all activities, services and programs through Bridge are conducted in a manner that is sensitive to and shows respect for the cultural and ethnic diversity for all Bridge young people.
- Attend and participate in all required program meetings including weekly supervision with Residential Coordinator and all staff meetings
- A Bachelor's Degree in Human Services, Social Work, or any other related degree strongly preferred
- 1- 2 years of experience working with youth ages 18-24 in one or more of the following areas: housing management, job development, community relations, substance abuse or recreational counseling. Can also include supervised internship experience.
- Comfort and confidence working in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment with an ability to collaborate and problem solve across multiple teams and stakeholders
- Ability to identify and execute effective problem solving strategies, with experience practicing sound crisis intervention and conflict resolution
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations and cultural groups
- Passion and commitment in working with homeless and transitional youth population
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary for this position starts at $20-$25/hour and is commensurate with experience. Weekend shifts are paid with an additional $3/hour pay differential.
Bridge Over Troubled Waters is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental and vision plans, paid time off and a retirement savings plan.
Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status.